Monday, March 14, 2011

Week 5 ~ Reflections and Refocus Week

After I wrote my last week's recap I decided it was time to take a step back and reflect on what exactly it is I'm trying to accomplish by beating myself up with these workouts. I was experiencing some nagging muscle aches that had reminded me about a certain injury I had to deal with last summer.  Ignorance and denial played a huge role in how things played out then, and I can't afford to make the same mistakes again.   I was glad to have a two day break to baby those sore spots a bit and assess what my next move would be.   It's always been my focus to run this race intelligently. I want to finish feeling really positive and proud of what I accomplished, not frustrated and focused on what I didn't do.  To say I don't have a "super secret time goal" floating around out there would be silly (don't ask, I'll never tell), but I want to enjoy my experience, cheer on my fellow running pals, meet some new running peeps, and be able to walk when all the festivities are over.  I get so excited just thinking of race day.  Unfortunately, it propels me to push myself more than I should. It's time to pull myself back a little...I gotta get there in one piece.

Monday~ Abs and Arms 25 mins

Tuesday ~ 5 Miles Sub 9's
Actual~ 5 miles @ 8:41P

Calm winds made this run feel really great!  Soreness from the previous week was minimal...yay!
 Splits: 8:43, 8:39, 8:35, 8:55, 8:36

Thursday~7 miles Alternating
Actual~ 5 miles Alternating

Due to the terrible weather conditions...whirling winds and sideways sleet aimed directly in my face, I decided to knock off two miles at the last minute.  I figured I had suffered enough with what I was able to accomplish.

Splits:  9:27, 8:05, 9:34, 7:57, 9:13

Saturday~ 10 Miles Easy
Actual~ 10 Miles @ 9:28P w/Jeffrey

Jeff and I got the opportunity to hit the pavement together for the first time in THREE YEARS!  It just doesn't seem possible that it's been that long, but it has.  We set out agreeing that I should lead the way so he didn't push the pace.  We were grooving along pretty good...chatting about this and that when we came upon the hill of death.   I didn't think too much about it and gave a pretty good push to get up it.  What followed would have to be the most challenging 2 miles of my life!!!  As we headed west into a relentless 20-25 mph windstorm, Jeff provided his best rendition of Jim Cantore.  If ya'll don't know who he is, here's a peek....




 


Let's just say that by the end of this run I felt pretty whooped.  I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with my sweetie...lord knows we can use every second we can get!   He seemed to enjoy his "extended recovery run" too  :)
Splits  9:17, 9:14, 9:08, 9:02, 9:18, 10:06, 9:58, 9:48, 9:34, 9:26 


Weekly Total  20.01

This week felt soooo much better than last week.  I'm officially staying out of the cemetery until after my two long races this spring.  Next week I will be venturing into uncharted long run territory one more time before the race, and I'm feeling really good about it!

3 Weeks til Go-Time!!!

Peace,

Jen B.

P.S.  Sometimes the best medicine is Rest and Reflection.




2 comments:

  1. I think it's so important to step back once in a while and evaluate - especially if something just doesn't feel right. Looks like a great week! Here's to getting to the starting line AND finish line injury-free, feeling good and with a smile!

    Exciting that a new milestone in long-run mileage is coming up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better going in this week! I can't believe we only have 3 weeks til Martian! AH!!! :)

    ReplyDelete